Ride Access Pass
WHAT IS A RIDE ACCESS PASS?
The Ride Access Pass is a system we have in place to help guests who require extra assistance or are unable to queue due to a condition or disability. This allows them access to the rides via a queuing system for themselves and up to three people (one of which must be age 14+).
The Ride Access Pass removes the need for our guests to wait within the main ride queue lines, and enter by a dedicated entrance for Ride Access Pass users.
We have partnered with Nimbus Disability to process our Ride Access Pass applications, who will individually assess your needs and determine if you are unable to queue. You can then collect your Ride Access Pass on your first visit to Alton Towers Resort, Chessington World of Adventures Resort, LEGOLAND Windsor Resort or THORPE PARK Resort which will be valid for 3 years.
Please note that having a registered disability does not mean you automatically receive a Ride Access Pass.
- Applications will need to be submitted through our partner, Nimbus Disability, a social enterprise and an organisation run by and for disabled people and is recognised as a lead authority on accessible ticketing in the UK.
- The team at Nimbus Disability will process your registration within 72 hours, you will not be able to link your application to a Merlin Ride Access Pass until it has been approved.
- You will be provided with a unique reference number which can then be used to link to our Ride Access Pass system.
- During your free registration there will be an opportunity to upgrade to an Access Card which is the best solution available for communicating your access requirements and nothing more across a range of different venues outside of Merlin Entertainments.
Once you register, Nimbus Disability will handle all your details securely and safely without Merlin Entertainments viewing the reason why you require a Ride Access Pass.Apply now
If you already have an active Access Card you can link this to a Merlin Ride Access Pass through our website. Link your Access Card
We partner with Nimbus Disability Consultancy who run the “Access Card” Scheme. Nimbus Disability is an organisation of disabled people which specialises in the legislation behind The Equality Act and are recognised as a lead authority on accessible ticketing in the UK.
It is really important that we ensure our Ride Access Pass system remains beneficial for those who simply could not visit our attractions without one. Access Card (run by Nimbus Disability) have a robust and detailed application process, providing the opportunity to upload evidence, supporting documents and include any information about the barriers you face when visiting an attraction.
Unlike the previous process through Merlin where we have asked for a Blue Badge or Higher rate DLA/PIP, the Access Card application process is more focused on an assessment of an individual person and the barriers they face as an individual. They ask for any documentation and details to support an application and their expertise and knowledge of a wide range of disabilities makes them the right people to make this decision.
Applying for a Ride Access Pass in advance is essential to ensure you get the best possible experience when you visit our attraction. There is still a provision on the day for applications, however due to the robust processes in place, it may take an hour on the day. We strongly advise to organise your RAP in advance – so on your visit, you can focus on having FUN!
Typically a decision is made on an application within 72 hours, however at peak times it may be longer. If you are visiting a Merlin attraction in the next 2-3 days you can apply for a temporary Ride Access Pass Card by clicking here.
Important Information: the Temporary Ride Access Pass will only be valid for 7 days from the date of approval and you will only be able to apply for a Temporary Ride Access Pass once, after which you must go through the full application process for a 3 year Ride Access Pass.
A Merlin Ride Access Pass is valid for 3 years from the date of issue and is valid for use by the guest named and photographed on the card.
If you already have an Access Card with the Queuing or Wheelchair symbol on it, you do not need to go through the application process again, you can head straight here to create your Merlin Ride Access Pass card.
Once Access Card have approved your application you will get an ID number. Simply head to the Access Card website here with your ID number, where you can create your Ride Access Pass.
It is completely free to apply for a Ride Access Pass. During the application process you have the option to upgrade to an Access Card, priced at £15 for 3 years.
The Access Card can be used to demonstrate your needs in relation to the equality act at many venues across the UK and is widely recognised by theme parks, ticketing companies, theatres, retail and many more venues. The price is £15 for 3 years, you can find out more information here.
The Access Card (sometimes referred to as the CredAbility Card or a Nimbus Card) translates an individual’s disability into symbols that highlight the barriers they face and the reasonable adjustments they might need – almost like a ‘Disability Passport’.
This card helps inform our teams quickly and discreetly about the support needed whilst at our attractions, so our teams can make reasonable adjustments without having to go into large amounts of personal detail.
Find out more about how an Access Card can help here.
You do not have to have an Access Card to obtain a Ride Access Pass. Merlin Ride Access Pass applications remain completely free.
As part of our new partnership, applications are managed by Nimbus Disability, who also operate the Access Card. They ask for any documentation and details to support an application and their expertise and knowledge of a wide range of disabilities makes them the right people to make the decision.
During the application process for a Merlin Ride Access Pass, you have the option to upgrade to an Access Card, priced at £15 for 3 years.
You can visit the Access Card web site here https://www.accesscard.org.uk/faqs/ for more information.
The Ride Access Pass is a system we have in place to provide reasonable adjustments to guests visiting our Theme Parks who require extra assistance or are unable to queue due to a condition or disability. This allows them access to our rides and attractions via a virtual queuing system for themselves and up to three others (at least one of which must be aged 14 or over).
The Ride Access Pass removes the need for our guests to wait within the main standby attraction queue lines and enter via a dedicated entrance.
We have partnered with Nimbus Disability to process our Ride Access Pass applications, who will individually assess your needs and determine if you are eligible. You will then be able to collect your Ride Access Pass – which will be valid for three years – on your first visit to Alton Towers Resort, Chessington World of Adventures Resort or LEGOLAND Windsor Resort, or THORPE PARK Resort.
The Equality Act 2010 (“The Act”) defines that a person shall be regarded as being disabled if they have a physical or mental impairment which has substantial (being more than minor or trivial) long-term adverse effects on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. ‘Substantial’ being more than minor or trivial; ‘long-term’ being that the impairment must have been there for more than 12 months or likely to last for at least 12 months.
Ride Access Pass refers to the facility offered to our guests with disabilities allowing access to our rides and attractions whereby the standard queue is bypassed.
- Guests with a disability (as defined by The Act) may, at the discretion of Nimbus Disability and/or Merlin Entertainments Group, be issued upon application, a Ride Access Pass.
- All applications for Ride Access Pass must be submitted through Nimbus Disability’s Access Card process, which provides a more focused assessment of an individual person and the barriers they may face which affects their ability to queue. Applicants will be asked to provide any documentation and details to support their application which is then assessed by an expert team with a wide knowledge of disabilities.
- Guests that are already in possession of a valid Nimbus Disability Access Card with the Queuing or Wheelchair symbol on it do not need to apply for the Ride Access Pass. They will only be required to register their Access Card with Merlin Entertainments in order to create their Ride Access Pass.
- Guests must submit their application to Nimbus Disability for a Ride Access Pass at least seven days in advance of their intended visit to our Theme Parks. This will allow the necessary time for the application to be assessed.
- Guests who have not applied in advance may be eligible for a temporary Ride Access Pass – valid for seven days from the date of approval – which is issued at the discretion of Merlin Entertainments. Due to the robust application process, this temporary adjustment may take upwards of one hour to be issued and can only be applied for once.
- The temporary adjustment will only be accepted for guests who apply providing one of the following supporting documentation: a Disability Living Allowance letter (dated within the last 24 months) showing that the guest receives either the higher rate mobility component or the higher rate care component, a PIP letter (dated within the last 24 months) showing that the guest receives the enhanced rate for either daily living or mobility components, or a current and valid Blue Badge.
- Upon approval for a Ride Access Pass, the disabled guest must collect their Ride Access Pass ID Card – valid for three years from date of issue – from their chosen Merlin Theme Park. This ID card will display the name and photograph of the disabled guest and must be brought with them on every visit to a Merlin Theme Park where they intend to use the Ride Access Pass system.
- Guests will be required to show this ID card alongside their Ride Access Pass when entering any ride or attraction through the disabled entrance or Ride Access Pass entrance. The named and photographed guest on the ID card must be present and boarding the attraction with their companions.
- Failure to present the ID card when attempting to enter an attraction with a Ride Access Pass will result in entry being refused.
- Guests who are not in possession of their ID Card but wish to use their Ride Access Pass may visit GUEST HELP & INFORMATION/GUEST SERVICES to request a temporary method to validate your entitlement for RAP for the day which can be accepted at attractions in lieu of the ID card.
- Upon receipt of a Ride Access Pass, guests may also be supplied with an Accessibility Guide. This guide highlights specific ride restrictions applicable to Ride Access Pass guests. These restrictions are in conjunction with the standard ride restrictions as displayed at the entrance to each individual ride and attraction.
- Each guest using the ride access pass must be accompanied onto or into a ride or attraction by a carer/companion.
- At least one carer or companion (up to a maximum of three) aged at least 14 years old must accompany the guest with a disability onto the chosen ride or attraction; this carer or companion must take full care and responsibility for the guest with additional requirements or disability in the event of an emergency.
- A maximum of three companions at a time are permitted to accompany a guest with a disability onto a chosen ride or attraction.
- Companions are not, under any circumstances, permitted to use the Ride Access Pass without accompanying the named Ride Access Pass holder.
- Companions agree that they must take full care and responsibility for the guest with additional requirements or disability during any emergency evacuation and that Merlin Entertainments staff are unable to assist guests through lifting or carrying.
- Other restrictions and rules may apply at any time and use of Ride Access Pass does not supersede these should they be in force.
- During peak periods, it may not always be possible to have MERLIN ENTERTAINMENTS staff at all merge points on some rides and attractions. In these circumstances, please continue to use the designated queue line and use your Ride Access Pass as normal.
- Use of Ride Access Pass does not and will not guarantee instant access to any ride or attraction. Guests may be required to wait in physical queue lines, particularly during peak times.
- Upon validation of their reservation at the chosen ride or attraction, the Ride Access Pass guest will be timed out of the system for the same length of time as the main queue line. It will not be possible to reserve or enter any ride or attraction until the designated time has elapsed.
- One Ride Access Pass will be issued per eligible guest per day.
- Guests found to be misusing the Ride Access Pass in any way or attempting to contradict any of the Terms and Conditions will have their Pass revoked and may result in the future issue of the Ride Access Pass being denied.
- At Chessington World of Adventures Resort and LEGOLAND Windsor Resort where a digital Ride Access Pass system is in place, misuse of the Ride Access Pass is identified, but not limited to;
- Making a reservation, screenshotting the QR code, cancelling the reservation and then attempting to use the screenshot at another point during the day.
- All guests using Ride Access Pass agree that Merlin Entertainments will keep a record of their details for verification and registration purposes in line with the Data Protection Act (2018) and consent to having their photo taken for verification purposes.
- Nimbus Disability will handle all guest details for Ride Access Pass applications securely and safely and Merlin Entertainments will not have any access to the reason(s) the Ride Access Pass was issued or rejected.
- Ride Access Pass ID Cards are issued to all registered guests; these cards are for the sole use of the person named and photographed on the card. Any misuse of the ID card will result in this being revoked and may result in refusal of any future Ride Access Pass.
- Ride Access Pass ID Cards are only valid at Alton Towers Resort, Chessington World of Adventures Resort, LEGOLAND Windsor Resort, and THORPE PARK Resort; these cards will not be accepted any other Merlin Entertainments Group site.